Welcome to Thorndon Hall
nearly 1000 acres of old deer
park, woodland and two golf courses, Thorndon Hall still retains much of the
character of its original tranquil 18th Century setting. Only 2 miles
south of Brentwood town centre and only 25 minutes by train
(Shenfield or Brentwood Stations) from Central London it offers the
perfect retreat from urban life with all the benefits of having
London on your doorstep.
Built between 1764-1770 by the eminent architect James Paine with
interiors by Samuel Wyatt and landscaping by Capability Brown, Thorndon Hall stands within extensive parkland
to the south of Brentwood, Essex and only 25 miles East of Central London. This grand stately home was built as a
replacement to Thorndon Old Hall (now a ruin within the park) and was
originally the principal family seat of the Barons Petre of Writtle,
one of Britain's wealthiest land owners and one of the country's most
prominent Catholic families. The family moved to their other seat of
Ingatestone in the early 20th century and now the house has been
converted into private luxury apartments and cottages.
This site has been
put together to give a
detailed history of the house and estate along with information
for the current residents. We are also planning to list sales and
rentals of properties that come up within the estate through our
resident estate agency at Thorndon Hall.
Copyright 2013 Thorndon Hall
Management Company Ltd.